Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Time to be Thankful ~ Day 4 Spiritual Eyes

Spiritual Eyes
Back in 2010 I had Lasik surgery done to correct my vision. I am grateful for the surgery and being able to see.  I can't imagine not being able to see.  Being blessed with good eyesight truly is a gift but being blessed with spiritual eyes is an even better gift.

I never thought of spiritual eyes until I started listening to Joel Osteen back in early 2000.  I slowly began to understand that if I wanted to increase my faith and have peace with God, I had to correct the vision of my spiritual eyes. I had to trust and develop a stronger relationship with God.

Being in a toxic relationship distracted me from placing my time and trust in Christ.  My ex was my Savior. Whatever mood he was in determined my mood.  Whatever made him happy made me happy.  I was like a clone of his emotions.  I struggled to live for him. I depended on his attention and love for me to bring me joy and peace. I endured this lifestyle for so many years. I was drained, depressed, and disappointed countless times.  No one should be responsible for our emotions - good or bad.  Nor should we have to rely on any person to bring us that peace.  It is up to us to take control of our emotions and our lives.

I struggled to make our relationship work but my peace wouldn't come until I left that lifestyle.   My spiritual eyes would not improve until I placed God at the center of my life. 

At the end of 2008, my life seem shattered.  He and I had broken up for good.  Within a few weeks my dad was suddenly diagnosed with cancer. No matter how much I wanted to control things, I realized that I had no control over anyone's life, especially the two people I had cared for the most.  I couldn't change my ex and I couldn't heal my Dad.  

All I could do was let go and trust. I had to trust that this invisible being, this spirit, was walking with me.  I was overwhelmed with such fear and loneliness.  I wasn't sure what next step to take.  I cried out to the Lord.  Suddenly the peace came over me. I don't know how but I just knew my life would better.  I trusted that God would give me the strength and directions I needed, and He did. My spiritual eyes grew stronger.

I believe that all things happen for reason. My losses taught me that no matter what overwhelming struggle we may endure, God is always walking beside us.  All we need to do is call out to Him.  He will lead us. He will strengthen the vision of our spiritual eyes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment