Saturday, November 10, 2012

A Time to be Thankful ~ Day 10 Second Chances

2nd Chances

Back in late 2005, I got involved in a mortgage fraud scam.  I always dreamed of having my own home.  But with my credit and not enough income, that was something I knew was out of my realm.  Usually I am aware when something is too good to be true but sometimes others can persuade, fight, and manipulate us so much that we eventually give in. Their false promises are for their own gain.

The people who got me involved told me that they would do a quick turnaround on the house I bought.  However, what started off as 2 mortgages on one house snowballed into 3 houses with 6 mortgages!  After a couple of months, the people who got me involved soon became uncooperative once they got their money out of the deal.  My ex and I lived in one of the beautiful houses for nearly a year but I couldn't enjoy it since I was worried the entire time.

I found myself tangled up in a nightmare that I thought I would never get out of it.  With plenty of sleepless nights, unreturned calls, and lots of unpaid bills, somehow I managed to crawl my way out of the mess.  Naturally I had to foreclose on all the houses which probably added to the fall of the nation's housing market crash around this time. That year of worry and stress diminished my dream of ever having a home.

After many meetings with the Houston DA and several meetings with the FBI, the people who got me involved were caught and had to spend some time in jail.  My credit was ruined so much from all the defaults on the mortgage loans that I can't even get a gas card. I don't think Fingerhut would even give me credit! :) I am still getting calls from a couple of creditors.

After researching the IRS website about foreclosures, I was certain I would owe the IRS that year.  However, God helped me out of the mess.  In 2007, I got the biggest tax refund I had ever received.  I was shocked.  God had truly blessed me from my mess.

Since then,  I have been given a better life. Thank God I'm not who I use to be. Each day when I awake I thank God for giving me another day, another chance.

No longer do we have to beat ourselves up over mistakes we have made. No longer do we have to hold on to grudges or pain from our past.  Every day when we awake, we are  given a 2nd Chance all because Christ died and arose from the dead.  Be grateful for your 2nd Chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment