Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Time to be Thankful - Day 13 Memories of my Dad

Memories of my Dad

It is Day 13 of my grateful project.  There are a thousand other things that I can be thankful for but somehow my Dad stands out the most to me today.  This time of year is usually tough for my mom and me.  My dad was diagnosed with cancer around Thanksgiving, 2008.  His illness put a damper on the holidays that year and these last few years.  Being told you don't have long to live isn't such a great Christmas gift. I am so thankful that we were able to spend his last Christmas together as a family.

My mom & dad seeing me off at the airport, May 2007
Being a true Daddy's girl, I can't imagine what life must be like without growing up with a dad.  Some dads may not be the greatest but if you have a dad, spend every moment you can with him.  

I am grateful that my childhood has so many special moments with my mom and dad.  They did the best they could with what they had to raise me.  My dad worked hard to provide for us.  He also was a good man. He didn't mind helping others out.  That trait is one of the things many remember about him.  He stood up for his family.  My mom and his siblings meant so much to him.  I am proud to be his daughter and to be able to share the wonderful memories of my dad.

Although I don't have children of my own, I can't imagine a dad or mom not wanting to be involved in their child's life.  Sadly, it is all too common in our nation.  Our society doesn't do enough in keeping families together.  Many parents are addicts and have other priorities in their life.  They don't realize and may never realize how important they are to their children. But there is hope.  Anyone can change if they are determined enough.

I believe we should cherish Every moment with the special people in our lives.  Life is too short to bicker and complain about the small things.  No one is perfect.  Some people learn through the mistakes and change but others continue on the path of destruction.  Whatever the case, cherish and make memories with those you love.


No comments:

Post a Comment