Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Time to be Thankful ~ Day 11 Our Military

I see the American Flag flying high in the wind.  What an honor and glory it is to see to see the flag fly.  It reminds me of our freedom. We are so blessed to be living in a land where we are free to voice our opinion, a free to disagree, and to live in peace free from terrorists. None of this would be possible without our military, without those risking their lives on a daily basis. They choose to leave their families and protect our country.

Since the foundation of America, soldiers have continue to fight for peace not only for our country, but for millions of other lives in other countries.  What do they get in return? Not a whole lot these days.  Some get a small pension, a grave site if they are lucky, and discounts and freebies on Veteran's Day.  The honor and respect they deserve is long overdue.

My Grandpa and my Great Uncle served in WWII.  Even though they did not have big roles during the war, I am honored that they risked their life for our country.  After my Grandpa's death in 1999, my Uncle Andy was honored with the American Flag.  We buried my Grandpa in the Veteran's Memorial Cemetery here in Houston along with thousands of others who fought so bravely for this country. Some were killed in battle while others were blessed to live a life after the war.

Every Memorial Day, little American flags are place on each grave.  Their little waves in the wind remind me that everyone matters when it comes to having peace in our country.  Thank God for Our Military.  

Below is a beautiful poem that I found just in time for the Christmas.

Santa's Soldier

'Twas the night before Christmas
in a war over seas.
A soldier said a prayer
by his bed on his knees

He said "I don't wanna be here
but I can not leave.
Lord, please let my family
have a great Christmas Eve."

This soldier I speak of
will have Christmas alone.
All that he has
is a package from home.

Inside of the package
was a great surprise.
It was a picture of his family.
He wiped the tears from his eyes.

His wife left a note that said
'We are all alone.
The kids miss their daddy
please hurry back home.'

His six year old daughter
gave a teddy bear to her dad,
along with a note
that said 'This will help when you're sad.'

The soldier picked up his gun
and went back out to work.
And then he noticed a kid
that looked like he was hurt.

The soldier said,
"What's the matter kid, what is your bother? "
Yhe kid responded by saying
"They just shot my father."

The soldier said,
"I've got something for you, to make you less sad."
Then he pulled out a teddy bear and said,
"Let this remind you of your dad."

The soldier went on his way
to continue to fight
and said "Merry Christmas to all
and to all a good night."


No comments:

Post a Comment