Monday, November 12, 2012

A Time to be Thankful ~ Day 12 Pets

Pets ~ Kita
I'm a huge dog lover!  I have had dogs and many other pets all my life.  I believe dogs, cats, and other pets are truly angels sent from above.  They love us unconditionally and will stay loyal to us to their death.  Just like us, they need love and attention on a daily basis.

I can't remember a time when my family and I didn't have a dog or cat.  Sometimes they came from out of no where and just showed up at our house.  Most came from other people.  I don't remember ever seeing a pet shop or an adoption agency in Eastern KY.  Hardly anyone could afford to "buy" a pet or pay for shots and other medical care.  

Unfortunately, many dogs and cats are dropped off in the middle of nowhere or near highways. These domestic animals are unable to fend for themselves.  Many starve to death or get run over.  Some dogs are chained up leaving them very little room to play, exercise, defend themselves from other animals, or simply go to the bathroom.

Kita in 2010
I am thankful for chain laws and other stricter laws for animal abuse. Seeing an owner abuse his animals means that he is likely to abuse the other people in his life.  I am thankful for animal rights groups like the ASPCA and other humane societies that help protect animals.

My dog Kita turned 15 this year.  She was just 6 months old when my cousin David took me to his friend's house to pick her up.  She was the tiniest one of all the puppies.  Most of her brothers and sisters didn't survive the attacks from the wild coyotes a few weeks later. I am so grateful I was able to get Kita before that happened.

Kita has seen the joys and struggles that I have been through these last 15 years.  She has laid by my side all the way.  In 2004, she got lost when I was on vacation in KY.  For 3 weeks I was devastated.  I thought I would never see her again.  Thankfully she found her way home.  She will hardly go outside now unless I am by her side.

This year she got a cataract in her right eye and can't see very well. Sometime last year she lost her hearing.  Every now and again, she has trouble walking but we both are hobbling along these days.  I know she won't live forever, but she will always be my angel.  I love my Kita!!

Take care of animals.  Report any Animal Abuse!



No comments:

Post a Comment