Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Time to be be Thankful ~ Day 7 The Past

The Past

I awoke today with sadness, anxiety, and disappointment.  I wasn't happy with the results of our Presidential Election.  I was praying for some "hope" and "change" of my own.  My immediate thought was of those in KY.  My heart goes out to the many miners and their families of Eastern KY. What's in store for the future?

Since July, many of the coal mines in Eastern KY have been shut down because of very strict EPA laws and the push for cleaner energy.  I'm all for helping the environment and going "green" but not at the cost of destroying peoples' lives who have no other job opportunities. What will happen if more coal mines are shut down? What happens to the people who depend on coal to heat with during the winter? How are they to find jobs with very limited opportunities? Those of us making a living these days already have it difficult.  I can't imagine even higher food, energy, and gas bills.

I can recall so many struggles that my parents endured.  My dad had a few odds jobs.  Finding a good job in Eastern KY was scarce even back then.  You were very lucky if you could even get a job at the coal mines. The coal companies pay very well.  Sometimes you had to have connections to get on at the mines. For awhile, my dad worked for a small mine until they went bankrupt and moved elsewhere.  Finding a job and making ends meet was always hard. Nothing came easy. Everything seemed to be a struggle which is one of the reasons I moved away.

I love and miss Eastern KY.  I wish I could move back. Unfortunately, a good job, good benefits,  (and a few other things) keep me grounded to Houston.  Although the past was hard, I am grateful that it taught me a greater appreciation for the smaller things.  Going through those tough times allows me to be thankful that I have moved on from that place.  I am not as insecure as I once was.  My mind has matured. What use to be so important seems almost laughable to me.  

What's ahead for us? Will we still be struggling to get by? I suppose I take lessons from my friend Susan.  No matter what health issues attack her, she stays focused and keeps forging ahead.  We can too.  We just can't sit and whine about the problem.  Why ponder on the negative? Do what you have to do.  Forgive our past, forgive our enemies, and focus on the path ahead, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment