Thursday, October 22, 2009

Worthless Things

Are you like me? I'm attracted and awe at what the celebrities are wearing and doing these days. Why is that they are so attractive and entertaining to us? Plus why is that they receive $10,000 gift bags, wear ridiculous priced clothing, and are exempt from serving time when they break the law? If it’s not the celebrities I am awing at, it’s the gruesome shocking news headlines that I can’t turn away from. I find myself wasting countless hours viewing and critiquing the world when I should be spending more quality time fixing my own life.


So it didn’t amaze me at all this morning when I read “Our Daily Bread”. It was as if God was speaking right at me for He knows my morning routine of surfing the news channels to see what is happening in the world. It was from Psalm 119:31, “Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way.” It was a reminder for me to turn away from such things that I have no control over. It was a reminder to seek God’s beauty in the ugliest of the real world.


So many times I have found myself so angry about the values that are important to me now being destroyed in a society lost within its self; a society hungry for own self pleasure, freedom, and a materialism lifestyle. No longer can our children play freely in the street or even help a stranger out with loading his groceries into a car. Besides, has our children of today even heard of such things?

What happened along the way that caused such fear and such cruelty in our world? Where are we headed? IDK!  Oh, just in case you’ve forgotten, our children speak in acronyms now and can barely spell.


Yes, I could ponder and worry about the leadership of the government, the hunger and AIDS crisis in Africa, and would Kate and Jon Gosselin just disappear. Yet worrying and judging the world gets me no where. Instead, I turn my eyes away. Not to ignore the tragedies of the world but to let go. Whatever worldly issue shocks me, I let go and give it to God, for only He is BIG enough to handle the world. Believe it or not, He is still in control - just check your local weather channel and see our every changing climate in every state.


Ok…..so I’ve bored you enough for today. I know – I know – you’re going to go check out You Tube right now to go see that Lady Ga Ga video or something more entertaining, it’s ok, I understand. But regardless, in the future take some time to seek out God’s glory in ALL things and place your focus on Him for a moment. You will be amazed by His Peace.



Take Care & God Bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment