Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Uncle Gobel

Since my dad's passing in 2008, Father's Day naturally has been a little depressing to me. I'd give anything to still be sending him gifts and cards. However, the month of June also reminds me of another blessing that I still have, Daddy's oldest brother, my Uncle Gobel, whose birthday is this month. Named after his father, Gobel Fugate, (brother of George "Do-I" Fugate), he will always remain "Uncle Jr." to me.

Look up the words humble and selflessness in the dictionary and you are liable to see a picture of my Uncle Gobel in there. Even as a child, I was always drawn to Uncle Jr.'s passive and gentle nature. He has a quality that cannot be duplicated or imagined. One of my earliest memories was seeing him working and digging tators in the hot sun on his Uncle George's farm. Even at 6 years old, my sudden instinct was to immediately to go help Uncle Jr. dig tators.

He may seem like a man of little words and experience but this wasn't always the case in his younger years! He use to work and party with his aunt Dora Campbell and her brother General Lee when they moved to Chicago. His younger brothers soon followed in his footsteps to find work there as well. My uncles enjoyed partying as well on their days off but then, kids came along! One to rarely ever say no, it was then that Uncle Jr. became the "designated" babysitter a lot of the times! I can't imagine the hell my cousin Alonzo and I must have put him through. He wouldn't even stomp a bug so there's no way he scolded us.

The good times in Chicago didn't last very long though. His Uncle George ("Do-I") got sick and was unable to take care of the farm. Being the "single" one, Uncle Jr. agreed to move back to KY and help out on the farm on Fugate's Fork. What was to be a "temporary" stay, turned into over 10 years of Uncle Jr. working as a farmhand for his Uncle George, George's sister, Laura, and her husband, Garvey. He never married, never had children, or got another job after that. His life was surrounded by the duties on the farm until Uncle George's passing in 1985. It wasn't until then when he moved off the farm and eventually got his own place.

His life is a real example of selflessness. From him, I have also seen how giving and caring too much (co-dependent) can also be a curse at times. For years, Daddy struggled to protect and warn his older brother from those who wanted to take advantage him. Many times, Daddy would "kidnap" his older brother from the farm so they could go have a good time. :^) Yet Uncle Jr. is a smart man, full of kindness and good heart. He loved his family, the farm, and he loved my daddy very much. He always returned to his home on Fugate's Fork.

Sadly, I rarely get to see my Uncle "Jun" since I don't live close by but we still manage to talk on occasions. He's very independent and active even though he currently lives in the nursing home in Jackson, KY. His generosity is still there as he helps the nurses with the other patients. :^) Yet no matter what, I know his heart belongs to Fugate's Fork and his family. It brings joy and brightens his heart each time he goes back there, just as it does mine. Home is where your Heart is.

Happy Birthday, Uncle Jr.

I love you VERY Much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment