Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Determined to be Positive by Giving Back

I have a close friend who has been enduring breast cancer for the last year.  I’ve seen her strength from within as she struggles with a new body image and the side effects of the chemo treatment pills.  The chemo pills can be like an evil friend.  They are the magic beans that help her body fight off the cancer cells but they also drag her down.  Every day she tolerates the sickness from the chemo.  What amazes me more is that the breast cancer is just another battle to her as she has fought many in her lifetime.  I often wonder where her strength comes from and how she maintains the fight.  Much of her strength comes from knowing that God provides her with the courage to keep going. The other half is just pure stubbornness and determination. I wish I had even a 3rd of her strength and courage.

After seeing the devastion of Japan's tsunami and being reminded constantly of our country's downward spiral, I find myself easliy drawn to the depression and anxiety like a magnet.  Just like the blackness from the tsumani enveloping Japan, so too, the depression creeps up on me like a monster, destroying everything in its path.

Regardless of who you are, battles in life are never ending.  Natural diasters like the tsunami and battles with health like cancer don't discriminate.  Jobs are lost and our loved ones pass on.  In an instant, lives can be changed and we are reminded that we are powerless.

During these trying times, I lean even more towards that Heavenly Power, remembering that He is still in control. Even though some days seem a bit trying, I can still have Hope knowing tough times do not last forever.  God still is and remains in Control even when our world seems out of control.

When I see what my friend is enduring, I can draw from her strength.  Being around positive and strong willed people influences me.   They brighten my mood and encourage hope.  I remind myself that anything is possible if it's God's will.  I continue to lean on that understanding and search out encouraging forces.

Not long ago, one of my friends shared with me about her aggravation at a McDonald's drive-thru.  The customer ahead of her was taking forever!  She and her daughter was growing angry and inpatient.  Finally their turn came and the cashier explained that her order was free.  The person ahead of her had just paid for their breakfast! Small things like that impact lives, our children, and reminds me how giving can be like a domino effect.  Regardless of whats going on, kindness and giving back brings hope back into our lives and others. It causes positive changes.


Through the struggles, I continue to remind myself of the blessings I do have. I enjoy giving back all that I can. Spending time with people, volunteering, and praying for a total stranger can make a huge difference in your mood. Like my friend, we have to be determined and stubborn to stay positive in a selfish world. We can make a difference in other people's lives.

Ways to Help:
* May your World be brighter within regardless of your surroundings & situation. *

No comments:

Post a Comment